The True Source

I rarely venture into the book of Hosea. It's not a source of oft-quoted verses. But this morning, I started reading it as part of my book-by-book bible reading.

The prophet Hosea married Gomer, a prostitute. At one point, Gomer wanted to go back to her first husband maybe because he was a better provider. The verses that followed resonated with me:

Hosea 2:8, Amplified Bible
"For she has not noticed, understood, or realized that it was I (the Lord God) Who gave her the grain and the new wine and the fresh oil, and Who lavished upon her silver and gold..."

What a great reminder to us to acknowledge the ultimate source of all that we have and all the blessings that will continue to come our way. Every day I check my mail, I encounter invitations to know more about this and that way of achieving financial independence, finding ways of increasing revenues and becoming rich. Nothing wrong with that. I believe that God desires to prosper us at it says in Jeremiah 29:11. But it can get overwhelming at times. What to do. What business to get into. Where and how to invest. So many messages that seek to clarify but collectively confuse. Confuse to the point of paralysis. Then we need to remind ourselves that the means to prosper is not as important as the Provider of that prosperity, the one we need to seek first before all things.

Thank You, Lord, for being the one true source I can rely on. Thank You, Lord, for making me the daughter of the richest, wisest King whose love for me is never ending and never failing. He will bless me abundantly.

1 comments:

Mel Avila Alarilla June 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

Actually the Lord commanded Hosea to marry Gomer- the prostitute to highlight the sad state of the affairs of Israel. Israel was likened by the Lord, through the prophet Hosea, to a prostitute who spurned her first love, and that is the Lord. Hosea was one of the prophets sent by the Lord prior to the fall of Jerusalem and the exile of the Jews to Assyria (first) and the second time, to Babylon. Thanks for the Biblical post. God bless you always.

Post a Comment

Followers

About this blog